Jett, Amethyst, Quartz, Obsidian, Amber and Sapphire. No, these aren’t the dancers from your local “gentleman’s club”. They are the six abandoned seal pups rescued around the coast of Maine, shortly after their birth.
Brought to you by
McQuade's Ace Hardware
- Disturbance during post-partum bonding (1st hour post-natal)
- Low birth weight
- Mother has insufficient milk during 1st days post-partum
- Twin birth (Rae, 1969)
- Inexperienced mother fails to care for pup
- Open ductus arteriosis (Courbis, 1997) or other congenital conditions
- Death of mother during labour
- Storms with rough sea in neonatal period
Abandoned Seal Pups Rescued
Marine Mammals of Maine was the rescuing party, and the seal pups were transferred to the care of The Mystic Aquarium’s Animal Rescue Clinic between the end of April 2016 and the end of May 2016.
After roughly 4 months of humane care and preparation, the seal pups were released on September 13, 2016, in front of a crowd of almost 200 people at Blue Shutters beach in Charlestown, RI. The pups appeared to be both nervous and excited to begin their life at sea.
We wish them safe travels as they explore their new surroundings.
Photos courtesy of Rebecca Gordon Photography